• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Workout question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kul69

Bluelighter
I started working out and as I expected the first time I did upper body I was really sore the next day and the first time I did lower body I was sore. However, after that I did upper/lower again and now I don't get sore. This has happened to me before when I tried to start working out.

It seems like the first workout is really great and I'm super sore the next day which I take to mean I did a proper workout. Then after that I just can't seem to get sore again which I feel like means I'm not working hard enough.

Am I understanding this wrong or not working hard enough or what?

Right now I do 30 minutes on a stationary bike every day and around 20-30 minutes of free weights every day. I alternate upper and lower body weight stuff every day. Do I need a longer recovery? What's up?

You can stick with the same weight until you feel comfortable adding weight.

Once your muscles stop burning from workouts they will stop growing any considerable amount.
One surefire way to keep the burns is cardio and doing supersets, or at least your version of a superset.

High intensity cardio for 20+ minutes seems to really help with my overall results.

I have results!

Soreness isnt a good indicator of progress. Progress is, hah. Never mind how you feel physically as far as soreness and even fatigue go, as long as your making workout to workout progress your doing good. And stop cycling, hit the weights harder with heavyish squats, deadlifts, presses, pull-ups (making sure you have safe form; squats knees out so that they track over your toes, back straight and your weight on your heels, presses your not leaning back too much etc) and do a upper body/lower body/cardio/repeat split, with the cardio acting more like "active recovery" then really taxing you (think 10 min crossfit "cindy" or something similar at a strong pace). That would be my recommendation anyway.

Once your muscles stop burning from workouts they will stop growing any considerable amount.
One surefire way to keep the burns is cardio and doing supersets, or at least your version of a superset.

Gibberish =D

I always knew I'd have to make my workouts more intense as I went along but after a single workout it's already time to kick it up a notch next time? I thought it was like, you do something for a week then you go more intense for the next week, etc.

There are two kinds of progression that im aware of, linear and periodized. As a beginner you adapt quickly to what your doing, so youll be able to progress workout to workout (assuming your diet is okay). Add as much weight as you can without compromising form, 2.5 will probably do it for your pressing, squat and deadlifts 5-10. After several months you wont be able to add weight to the bar each workout anymore, which will then necessitate you making the switch over to something like "the texas method" to continue making progress.

Hey man, just try to change up your workouts as often as possible. For instance, if you're doing chest, try barbell flat bench, incline dumbell bench, decline barbell, incline flies, and dips.

Next time you do chest try inclne barbells, weighted pushups, decline dumbell, etc. This is just an example of mixing up the chest exercises. The same principle can be applied to just about any muscle, or workout type.

Never allowing you muscles to 'get complacent' with a certain routine keeps them growing and the fat burning.

Status
Not open for further replies.